Friday, May 20, 2005

secure this!

This morning had me pondering security guards, and their levels of expertise.

The company I work indirectly for has a number of office locations. Each one has security guards with various levels of "professionalism".

For example: The security guards in the "mother ship" are sharp and focused. Nothing gets past them. You can't try to slip past them using someone else's pass. In fact most of the time you can't slip past them using your own. I have tried to bluff them with the albatross gag but this only met with me being striped searched and prodded with gloved hands.

The guards in my old office. Tried to be professional but where very bad at it. It was a semi "project" office, so no one of real importance was there. This meant there was not a lot of staff. So this meant that security would be able to remember faces. But did they acknowledge you as a living breathing person? No way! They always made me feel as if I was up to something. I my case I probably was.

Security in my newly located office. Is casual and friendly. They say "good morning" and "enjoy your weekend". I like them. When the first days of summer hit and I get to wheel out the bbq, they will definitely be on the list.

The security staff of our old, old office (where phil is stationed temporarily) are another breed. We call this office "where you go to die". The guards here are friendly and very laid back. One person I used to work with forgot his pass one morning so he substituted with the nearest thing to hand: an apple. The met with a knowing nod from the guard.

Clearly this is failing security 101. Apple does not equal security pass.